Saturday, August 27, 2005

ACKK!!! It's Almost THAT Time Again

I work at a major university and we have come upon the time when I will be complaining to anyone and everyone about my pet peeve. You want to know what that pet peeve is? Well, read on...

Why is that students choose to form a large talking circle in the most crowded areas of campus? I'm talking about by the cashiers at the Food Court, or the already crowded aisles of the Bookstore, or the main entrance of the Student Centre. They don't have "hey, how are you doing?" in passing kind of conversations, they go into great detail about their classes, or their overdue papers or how much beer they consumed the night before etc. etc. etc. Why is it that these seemingly bright people (after all, they ARE university students) don't see the hundreds of people who are trying to get around their sacred talking circle? They continue to stand there, talking and talking and talking.

The icing on the proverbial cake though, the real core of my pet peeve is students who do this while wearing a backpack. Now some of you may not be familiar with the backpacks that students currently carry. They don't just have a notebook, textbook and a pen or two - they come to school prepared for combat. The contents of these backpacks could sustain a small army for a few days. So when you happen upon them and politely say "Excuse me, please" the two centimetres that they move forward just doesn't cut it. That pack on their back, the size of an extra person, is still in the way.

Now before you all think I am some unfeeling, grumpy old lady, I don't begrudge the sacred talking circles. I'm sure they're a great way to socialize, but please people, MOVE 'EM OUT OF THE WAY!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, peter you have some anger issues, don't you bud?

working with Karen at this same hallowed institution, I too share this pet peeve. I also can't stand how slow they walk in the halls, or how whiny they get over things that the rest of us have to deal with everyday.

One day I'm going to get a huge loudspeaker, stand on the roof of Mills Library and tell the whole campus of students to STOP WHINING, SUCK IT UP AND GET SOME MANNERS!!!!

ahh, there, I'm done!!!

Kim

12:55 p.m.  
Blogger Franny said...

Okay kids, break it up! Karen, we all know you are not an unfeeling, grumpy old lady. You are pretty young! And Kim, honey, put down the loudspeaker...that's right...back away from the loudspeaker...And Peter, breathe...okay now repeat after me...happy place...happy place...
Glad I could help.

12:51 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home